[AccessD] Linking to an excel spreadsheet

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Mon Nov 22 11:52:47 CST 2004

Does anyone have code for linking to an excel spreadsheet?

If I manually create a link, the wizard finds all the fields, sets up with
the "first line has field names" etc.  Everything works fine.  However if
the table is not linked already, I need to create a tabledef, set the
SourceTableName and Connect properties.  If I then try to append the
tabledef to db.tabledefs I get an error that no fields are defined.  It is
obvious that a LOT more is involved here.  It appears that I have to open
the spreadsheet, get the first line, create fields with the data in the
first line, somehow figure out the datatype of each column etc.  Is there a
prebuilt code I can call to do all this stuff?  If the wizard can do it,
then the code behind the wizard could do it for me.

Has anyone ever done this?

John W. Colby
The DIS Database Guy