[AccessD] Accessing data in secured mdb from another secured mdb on a different workgroup

Greg Smith GregSmith at starband.net
Thu Nov 18 14:44:35 CST 2004

Mark:

Do any of the groups/users in the two different MDW's have the same PID's?
 Or were both mdw files created independently?  If the latter is true, you
might be hosed.  I'm ASSuming (dangerous word) that both apps and data
sets are using full MS Access security.

The next question (or continuing) then, if they both are fully
independent, how do you get data from one to the other?  You have to
somehow combine the mdw's (create new users/groups in one mdw from the
other mdw using the PIDs from the other mdw) and then one MDW file would
be used for both apps.  "Bit of a pain..." is an understatement.

I don't know your full setup, but another option would be (warning: this
is a cobble...) to create a third UNSECURED db for the data, export data
to it from the one database, then import from it into the other database.
That way all the exporting and importing is done from the secured db's and
they, technically, don't 'see' each other or their security. However, your
exported/imported data, while in the unsecured database, is just
that...unsecured. You didn't say whether this was a one time deal or an
ongoing process, so that may also figure into what you need to do as well.

Well, that's MY two cents worth.  Good luck!

Greg Smith
gregsmith at starband.net