[AccessD] parameterized query misbehavior

chizotz at mchsi.com chizotz at mchsi.com
Thu Oct 21 17:22:44 CDT 2004

I don't use Access as much as I used to, and I think this may be my first
attempt to use a parameterized query for a report since being upgraded to
Access 2003 (from Access 97).

I have a report based on a parametertized query that asks the user to enter a
Monday date and a Sunday date to select records between the two dates. I've
done this a jillion times or so in the past with no problems.

When I set up the query, I kept getting the error "The Microsoft Jet Engine
does not recognize [What Monday Date?] as a valid field or expression". I
solved that by explicitly defining the parameters and the datatype. I would
have done that anyway, but I've never had to do that just to get it work
before. So now in query design, when I run the query it prompts me correctly
and displays the data as expected.

Then I go to make my report and the wretched thing keeps prompting me over and
over, while in design mode, for the damn parameters. I don't mean to sound
like a prima donna, but I really can't work under these conditions :)

I've done this sort of thing many, many times in the past and I never gotten
prompted for the parameters in design mode, and only once when running the
report each time for testing. When I run the report, it runs through the
prompting process twice before displaying the report.

What the heck is going on? If I'm doing something wrong I sure don't know what
it is, and the MS help is, as usual, somewhat less than helpful.

Thanks for any response.

Ron