[AccessD] Can you Raid

Eric Goetz EricGoetz at egisystems.com
Sun Sep 5 12:57:33 CDT 2004

Hi John,

I've worked with Windows 2000 Server software RAID 1. I've found that I
could take either drive out, and boot off the other one. I wanted to go
through the process of recovering from a failed drive before I had one.

To get the system to boot off the drive in the second slot, I used a
boot floppy with a boot.ini file that specified both slots as having an
OS.

I found that once I booted from one of the mirrored disks, I could not
just put the other one back in and have a happy day. I needed to wipe
the drive and rebuild the mirror.

I used MS knowledge base article 311578, How to Edit the Boot.ini File
in Windows 2000 for help.

I think I'll use this idea for those systems where I can't get the right
disk controller drivers for Ghost to work.

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks,

Eric