[AccessD] OT: gmail by google turns 1 today.

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:28:02 CST 2005

>From the Privacy Policy at Gmail:

>    - We collect limited account information and store and maintain your
>    account and email messages on our secure servers.
>    - We will never rent, sell or share information that personally
>    identifies you for marketing purposes without your express permission.
>    - We serve highly relevant ads and other information as part of the
>    service using our unique content-targeting technology. No human reads your
>    email to target ads or related information to you without your consent.
>    - You can update your account information and preferences at any
>    time.

The portion that you are worried about from that paranoid site is derived
info from this statment on the policy

Because we keep back-up copies of data for the purposes of recovery from
> errors or system failure, residual copies of email may remain on our systems
> for some time, even after you have deleted messages from your mailbox or
> after the termination of your account. Google employees do not access the
> content of any mailboxes unless you specifically request them to do so (for
> example, if you are having technical difficulties accessing your account) or
> if required by law, to maintain our system, or to protect Google or the
> public.

this statment makes a lot of sense because if they delete your account but
your data is on backups, it makes sense they won't go into the backups and
delete your email there. but it also gives you a saftey to be able to go
back and access an email that you thought might have been lost for ever.

On Apr 1, 2005 1:53 PM, Heenan, Lambert <Lambert.Heenan at aig.com> wrote:

> Did you miss these comments on the site...
>
> "Google admits that even deleted messages will remain on their system, and
> may also be accessible internally at Google, for an indefinite period of
> time."
>
> "Google has never been known to delete any of the data they've collected,
> since day one."
>
> There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially where marketing people
> are
> involved. :-)
>
> Lambert

-Francisco