[AccessD] How to Question - check for duplicates in cascadingcomboboxes

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Sun Apr 17 23:29:29 CDT 2005

Connie:

Sounds like you've actually got it figured out.  I'd use the After Update
event of the sub-species combo box to see if they're trying to create a
record that already exists.  I'd open the recordset with the
species/sub-species fields and use .FindFirst.  Then use .NoMatch to see if
it found a match.  If .NoMatch is false that means it found a match so you
want to display a message and then I think Me.Undo will get rid of the
duplicate record, but that would have to be tested.

You can also test for the duplicate with DCount but domain functions are
pretty slow if the table is big or it's over a network.

HTH,

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
http://www.e-z-mrp.com