[AccessD] Table of Names

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Apr 27 17:16:19 CDT 2005

On 27 Apr 2005 at 15:51, Hollis,Virginia wrote:

> Should there be only one table listing the names? If so when you create
> a report, how do you distinguish between the names? If I put all the
> names in one table (tbl_PermitNames) and then put ContactID, IssuedID in
> the main table. When you add a name to the Contact field on the form it
> puts it in the tbl_Main as a number. When I create a report & add all
> the name fields it will use only one table for the names
> (tbl_PermitName) how would it know which field is the Contact, etc?

When you create a query for a report, you need to include the names table
multiple times, one for each category and link each category to a different
instance of the table.

If you do it in the Query Designer, Access will automatically create an
alais for each instance of the table consisting of the table name plus a
numeric suffix.

So you would have links
ContactID ---- tblNames.ID
IssuedID -------tblNames_1.ID