[AccessD] How to Manage Maintenance Mode - Auto shutdown

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:37:14 CDT 2005

Hello Group,

I have an app uses MS SQL 2000 Server as it's backend database.  I
want to run some maintenance routines on the db and they require that
I switch the db into single user mode.  This is easily done and once I
have it in Single User Mode, it is easy to kick off the maintenance
routines.

My question is what ways you may have handled a polite automatic
shutdown of the application in your worlds.

Technically, I do not have to shut down my app, I could just break the
connection to SQL server, but I think that I may as well shut down the
entire app.

I could use timers, and I could insert 'activity' updates and only
shut down the FE app when the app is not being used.

So for example, I could update a database field and when the field has
not been used for more than 30 minutes I can assume that it is
in-active.  This would allow me to auto shut down the app, but I would
like to leave some message behind me to let the user know where their
app went rather than just killing it!

I could also break the connection to the db, then display a message
box saying the db has been shutdown and allow the user to click OK to
continue.

I am not seeking detailed technical help here, more philosophically
how you guys handle this type of situation.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated,

I hope you and your family are all well,

Mark Breen