[AccessD] [dba-Tech] Windows Explorer Find replacement

Gina Hoopes hoopesg at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:17:45 CST 2005

Gustav,
Perhaps the title "Desktop" Search is a bit misleading. I use Google's
Desktop Search and I, like you, have almost all of my files stored on
several network servers within our department. The search results find not
only files stored on any of my mapped drives but also all of my emails,
which are stored on a server completely outside the control of our
department. There are about 15 email servers to accommodate the 10,000
people where we work, and on any given day you might be switched from mail
server 5 to mail server 12. On top of that, they have an archiving system
that leaves only a reference in our Outlook Inbox to anything over 90 days
old and the search results include those, too. My searches never take more
than about 3 seconds and return results from all of my files and emails, no
matter where they're stored. I wouldn't want you to think that the searching
was limited to your hard drive just because the title of the tool seems to
imply that.

Gina