[AccessD] OT: free Sygate personal

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:42:07 CST 2005

There, you said it better than I did Lambert. That is what I meant.
The router "firewall" does a good job of protecting inbound snooping
but doesn't stop the "calling home" stuff that the Software Firewall
does.

I have found that the software firewall sometimes can be a pain in the
back side in dealing with stuff inside my router though. I had one
system on that I had to shut down the router in order to get a drive
mapped to another system work. I had rules set up to specifically
allow it but it would stop working every time the system was restarted
and I had to then stop the firewall, the open something on the mapped
drive, then turn on the firewall again. That was using Norton's
Firewall on that system and after a hard drive crash on that system I
did not reload that firewall on that system specifically because of
that issue.

I'm sad that Sygate will be going away. I have had their free firewall
running for years on one of my system and have had zero problems with
it. It just works.

Thanks for chiming in with the clarification Lambert.

GK