[AccessD] OT: free Sygate personal

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Dec 1 09:42:12 CST 2005

Lambert,
Good story!

Illustrates the reason for having an outgoing firewall perfectly.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's built in firewall doesn't protect against
outgoing threats. So, unless you are abasolutely sure that you can't
possibly have any worries about malware then you are better off having a
firewall that can prevent incoming and outgoing traffic.

The Sygate Personal Firewall was great for home PCs, for which it was free.
You could purchase a license for it for your business PCs too and then,
IIRC, it was called "Pro" added a few items and the ability to get support.