[AccessD] Somewhat OT: Secrets of successful IT projects

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Dec 6 09:22:37 CST 2005

LOL, ditto on that!

My favorite from a department head at a government office: I have to have a
"brand name"...
Why?
"My son works for Best Buy and said I should get that brand".
Best Buy doesn't sell that brand. What does your son do there?
"He's a lawyer in the corporate office".
Sigh...

I spec'ed out 6 of these of various items as similarly as possible, only one
of which cost more than the son's recommendation. I made my recommedation.
He choose the son's (which was probably against regulations since it cost
more). Just over a year later he told me he would have to eat crow and admit
he made a mistake.

(Didn't matter to me, I'm not a hardware vendor but rather than say I told
you so I just said I'm sad to hear that because I always want things to work
the best that they can possibly work for all of clients bla, bla, bla...