[AccessD] Somewhat OT: Secrets of successful IT projects

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Dec 6 09:31:50 CST 2005

His story of failed government projects brings to mind my least favorite
project. It was a sub job I worked on for about a year. I was almost
complete and ready for final testing when the main contractor called me and
told me they changed their minds and were cancelling the project. Of course
I got paid in full but I was so close and I know this project was going to
be very helpful to them as they way it was previously being done was _very_
inefficient.

I asked what they were going to do since the reports from the project were
going to be needed shortly. She didn't know and they didn't know but they
decided to implement the entire thing via a GIS system. Which we had talked
about for a future goal but it would take years to implement. So instead of
finishing the project (for a tiny fraction of the cost of implementing it
via GIS) they decided to just stop! I later found out there had been a
change of officials.

Good money but absolutely no job satisfaction :o(