[AccessD] OT: Memory Lane. IBM Key Punch

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Dec 30 09:36:36 CST 2005

>I just took C++ for a spin; man is it ugly.

ROTFL.  You think it is ugly now, you should have seen it in the late 80s.
I really started programming in earnest in Borland's Turbo Pascal in the
early 80s.  By the late 80s Borland had a 'C' compiler.  Whereas Pascal is a
tightly typed language, the 'C' versions of the day made no effort to do
type checking for parameters and such.  It was "intentional" (or so they
said) since "REAL programmers" didn't need the compiler forcing them to do
silly things like making sure that the variable type passed in was the
variable type expected.  So you could pass in a float to an int and the
compiler would just do a type conversion for you, no warning, no nothing.

>I hate having to work that hard to write a program.

Uhhhh... Yep!

Of course you aren't a "REAL programmer" if you don't LOVE pain and
suffering, and what better language to inflict pain and suffering than 'C'?.
I'll bet you don't like pizza and mountain dew at 3 am while coding like a
mad man either!

http://folding.stanford.edu/