[AccessD] Witty

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Dec 30 11:12:03 CST 2005

As in everything, there is a time and place for everything.  All the
languages are designed for specific jobs.  Unfortunately, tools are all too
often selected because of the familiarity of someone with the tool, not
because it was designed for the job at hand.  'C' was designed as a "step
up" from assembler, to provide the capabilities of assembler with the power
of higher language constructs.  It was designed to "program to the metal",
precisely for writing things like operating systems and compilers, where you
needed to get at the metal.  It was not designed to write database
applications, web sites, or a host of other things that the world now needs.
Unfortunately it is all too often used where it doesn't belong, simply
because someone is comfortable with the language.

I will take Access and write a small database application in a matter of
days.  A MASTER of 'C' programming will takes weeks or months (or years) to
write the same application, but if you hire a MASTER 'C' programmer to write
your database application, you will likely pay him for weeks or months (or
years) of his time.  Notice that you will not get a better product, in fact
it will probably be inferior, for the simple reason that there will be 100
or 1000 lines of code for every line I have to write.  More code, more bugs,
we all know that.

Is 'C' a "witty" language?  Of course, if you need to write a Windows (or
Linux etc), or Access (or dBase etc).  Certainly NOT if you need to write an
"Access APPLICATION", or likely if you need to write a "Windows
APPLICATION".  There are many "more suitable" languages for those jobs.
Even for writing database applications, Access isn't the best tool all of
the time as we all know.

To use 'C' you have to be smart and agile.  To use it correctly, you have to
be even smarter and more agile, in order to decide where it is appropriate
and where it isn't.  Wax poetic about 'C' all you will, but come down to
earth when it is time to select your tool.

http://folding.stanford.edu/