[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Roz Clarke roz.clarke at donnslaw.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 09:05:59 CST 2005

OK, I'll try to give you a bit more flesh ;)

I am 'senior systems developer' in a law firm, and I lead a team of 4
developers (not including me) and 1 trainer. I no longer do very much
hands-on technical stuff, because although I am officially a team lead, I
also do all the project management and most of the business analysis. And
I've tried to recruit people who are better than me, so it's easy to let
them get on with it :/

The company uses a few 3rd party applications and my team spends the bulk of
its time customising these applications, and writing reports / reporting
tools querying the back end data, which is in SQL Server and Informix. We
only rarely get to develop ground-up applications, but when we do we use a
combination of SQL Server, VB.net, ASP.net and Access, providing interfaces
with the 3rd party stuff, Excel, Word and Outlook.

I came into development the same way as many others here; as a self-taught
user of MS Access 2.0. My first development role revolved around building
intelligent reports, and I joined this list soon after starting in that job,
around six years ago now. With the help of the good folk of AccessD, I made
good progress and started to think of myself as a real developer, though
never a guru.

Some of my team have certifications and others do not. I have studied for
the MCSD exams, and the firm has paid for everyone here to have external
training, but we have not placed much emphasis on the exams themselves. I
never managed to pass the sample tests (not giving it enough priority) so I
never took the exams.

Perhaps my experience as a recruiter would be useful to you here. We do not
specify that someone has to be certified when advertising for a position,
but it can make a difference. If their experience in the relevant areas
isn't very recent, for example - if say, someone has taken a year out or
worked in a different job role and is returning to development - an MCP or 2
helps you to believe that they are serious about returning and about keeping
their skills current. If however they have recent and solid experience,
certification is just icing.

If I were looking for a 'proper' development role now, I would want to take
some exams a) to prove to myself that it's something I want to do and can
stay interested in and b) to demonstrate the same thing to potential
employers - because it will be fairly clear from my CV that I am not a full
time hands-on developer at the moment.

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to do what you will with it.

Looking forward to reading the article

Roz