[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Lawhon, Alan C Contractor/Morgan Research alan.lawhon at us.army.mil
Tue Feb 22 09:45:38 CST 2005

Mark:

Quite an inspiring story - to say the least!  I guess I was "lucky" in
that I never got to the point of selling my blood, but I (definitely)
know the anxiety and apprehension that comes with not knowing where your
next meal will come from.  During my illustrious "career," I have had
jobs
both "high" and "low" ... including weekend disc jockey at a radio
station
(a definite "high") and cleaning up dog shit in an animal hospital.
(Talk
about a job that stunk ...)  I worked my butt off in a manufacturing
plant
to get myself thru college - which took the better part of six years.
If
I had to go thru all that again, I don't know if I would make it, but I
was young - in my twenties and early thirties.  I guess we do what we
have to do to survive ...

For about the last twelve years, I have had this "programming" job -
which I
kind of stumbled in to.  (Not bad for an orphan, huh?)  I don't have a
lot of the "things" which are considered signs of success - like a wife,
kids, and a mortgage - but I'm not sure if that is really a bad thing.
(My poker playing buddies keep telling me to NEVER get married.)  My
sister, who graduated from a "prestigious" high class university, has
managed to waste her life in a morass of drugs, blown opportunities, and
poor choices.  My (younger) brother hasn't done much better, so maybe
I'm the lucky one ...

I'm about to reach the big "50" (fifty years old), so I guess I qualify
for being "over the hill" and on the down slope, but [somehow] I've
managed to survive ...  I guess my greatest fault is that I'm much too
cynical (and suspicious) about people and their motivations, but I have
found that a healthy sense of paranoia is a definite survival skill.

All things considered, I have probably been very lucky.  There are guys
I grew up with in the Baptist Children's Home who are in prison - and
will be there for the rest of their lives.  At least I didn't wind up
like that ...

Alan C. Lawhon