[AccessD] The Polyp Problem

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 20 21:38:25 CST 2005

Hi Karen:

I would not worry about the legal aspects of locking down the system until
paid. A bad and cheap client is unlikely to try and sue as the system will
remain down until a court order forces you to start the system up again
(weeks or months later) and then there will just be another lock and the
client will have to go through the same process all over again. A contractor
has the natural right to expect fair payment for fair work and a 'lean'
against a property can deny client access to real-estate or intellectual
property. A friend went through a similar issue with the government. They
fussed and fretted and had their lawyers phoned to threaten but they finally
agreed to pay as my friend had dug-in his heels and was not budging no
matter what. No one in their right minds will risk their entire business on
a few thousand dollars that they will just have to pay when all is said and
done. If you do this once or twice you will get a rep as a fair, tough
business person and the respect that goes with it.

My two cents worth,
Jim