[AccessD] OT - MS Query

Stephen Bond stephen at bondsoftware.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 22:04:26 CDT 2005

A question from a local client - he uses MS Query.

<snip>
I have a defined range that I'm querying.  One column contains mainly numeric data but also some characters.  When I query this column it returns all rows that contain only numerals and blank rows that contain any characters. The number format for this column  is 'general'.
Why doesn't MSQuery show the rows with characters in this column yet the next column is mainly characters and this one displays correctly?

Tried some other things and it seem that MS Query will return data from a column that contains both character or numerical entries but not both.  If you have more entries with any numerals then these cells with be displayed and no cells that have characters will be displayed.  It seems that query looks at what data is in the cells and displays one type or the other but not both.  I my case it's a list of product codes, an example of which is below.  In this example only the rows that had a character in it will be displayed.
What gives?

Product Code

517
0517bro