[AccessD] Zip code format

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 11 22:56:05 CDT 2005

Kathryn, there's no built-in way to handle this -- you have a couple of
options.

Store the - in the table with the data by changing the format code to
00000\-9999;0; -- that last 0 stores formatting with the data.

Then, you can base the report on a query and use the following expression to
get rid of the -

FormattedZIP: Iif(Len(ZIPCODE) = 6, Left(ZIPCODE,5), ZIPCODE)

If you don't want to store the - in the data, then you'll need an expression
that handles putting it in instead of taking it out. I don't have that off
the top of my head -- but I could come up with it.

This really shouldn't be so hard -- maybe someone has a simpler solution.

My solution has to always just omit the last four digits -- I don't know any
po that actually requires them. :) Am I wrong on that? Maybe you need them
if you're using bulk mail or something.

Susan H.

In my table (members), I have a text field called Zip. The input mask is
00000\-9999;;_

Some people I have the 5 digit code, and others the zip+4, so this works.
When I look at a query, a person's zip will show up as 91502- or 91006-2046
as I expect. However, when I make the mailing labels, I get 910062046
instead of 91006-2046. The 91502- does correctly show as 91502 without the
dash.

In the table field definition, there is a space for "format" but if I put
the same _ I still get same result. There is no "predefined format" in the
drop down box.

What do I do? This is a flat database with only 28 records, so I've got some
play leeway.

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"