[AccessD] 2003 "permissions" - the other part

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Sun Mar 20 14:43:41 CST 2005

Erwin Craps said:
> When upgrading/installing  A2K3 your MDW file get overwritten
> by the default one of Office 2K3.
> Or in case the MDW file was not in the default location, The MDW
> (workgroup) file path has been set to the default one.
> You will need to join the corrept MDW (workgroup) file before
> you will be able to do what you want to do.
> When it's overwritten you will need to restore from backup.

I've not a clue what you said. I don't know what a workgroup is, and I don't know what MDW is. I have only an MDB. However,...

MartyConnelly said:
> 1 the database could be corrupt,
> 2 or  this implies that there is an mdw file and you don't
> have permission to use something.
> 3 Right-click the mdb  file and mdw file if there is one in
> the Windows Explorer.

I had despaired because of what Erwin said about restoring from backup, because my nightly backup had already been done, so it would also be corrupted. But when I got to this point, I noticed that at the same date/time, there was ABC.bak as well as my ABC.mdb - so I renamed the .bak to filename.mdb and opened it and it worked fine! So I deleted the corrupt one, and renamed filename.mdb to ABC.mdb and I'm back in business (ABC is Altadena Baptist Church, not the tv network).

So, now that my problem is solved, would you explain (in real simple terms) what the workgroup is/does? Is it something I should be doing that I've never done before?

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net