[AccessD] Problem with hyperlinks from a table or form

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 30 20:02:32 CST 2005

I don't know which way you are doing this.

But if I use any variation of this with a PDF file on a standalone PC, I
get the empty ADOBE 7.0 reader window open for a blink.
Now this happens with 97 and 2003 on WinXP home but I can't check if
this happens with the full version of Adobe.
However this  Access method application.followhyperlink method works
okay with file associations like jpeg or word .doc

Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\temp2\viewFormatWMMticket.pdf", , True
Application.FollowHyperlink "File:///C:\temp2\viewFormatWMMticket.pdf",
, True

However this works for me
Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, _
ByVal lOperation As String, _
ByVal lpFile As String, _
ByVal lpParameters As String, _
ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
Sub testit()
ShellExecute 0, "open", "C:\temp2\viewFormatWMMticket.pdf",
vbNullString, vbNullString, vbNormalFocus
End Sub

Mike Webb wrote:

>Posted this to NG microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted, but no reply.  Then I tried a non-profit techie website, but wasn't able to find a solution.  A responder suggested this group.  Am hoping a reader of this list can help:
>======================
>Using Access XP on WinXP box on a SBS 2003 LAN.  Experience level: Novice
>
>I've scanned a bit over 4000 docs into PDF format, accessible in Access via search forms and reports.  Started with them in my Shared Docs folder when we had just a P2P network.  Now that we have the server, I'd like to move the docs to a common folder there.  Just tried it with one doc, edited the hyperlink to reflect the network path, but all it would do is "blink" for a split second.  Tried mapping the location, same result.  The location on the server is \\[servername]\Users\Company   with Company being the common folder
>accessible to all users on the network.   I then  tried copying one of the PDF's to the server and was able to get it to open from Access.  So, thinking I had this solved, I copied the folder with all 4000+ files in it to the server.  Now I'm back to the "blink" described above when I click on the hyperlink.  I've tried sharing the folder, broadening the permissions for share and security, nothing works.  Now I can create a shortcut on my desktop and the file opens just fine. I can also navigate to the file within Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and this too works fine.  So I think it's an Access thing, but I'm in over my head, ability-wise.
>
>I have not split the DB yet.  The file is on my computer.  I also happen to be the domain and local computer admin.
>
>I'm kinda stumped on what I did wrong or what I'm missing.  Any ideas?

>Michael J. Webb
>Administrative Assistant/IT Administrator
>Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
>6611 W. Whooping Crane Dr.
>Wood River, NE 68883
>Office (308) 384-4633 FAX (308) 384-7209
>email Mike_Webb at WhoopingCrane.org www.whoopingcrane.org

Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.
Canada