[AccessD] Securing your code in deployment (was OT: Create .bat in WinXP Pro)

Penn 227 penn227 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 09:44:19 CDT 2005

Jim,

Thank you for the code snippet.  Since the DevFile.txt
is only on my
computer (not the end user's), I only change it's name
to confirm that the
program will work as expected on the user's computer.
Consequently, there's
no need to be able to do it from within the Access
program.  The author of
the aritcle I referenced below also uses the presence
or absence of the
DevFile.txt file to "turn on or off various
environment variables such as
the AllowBypassKey, AllowSpecialKeys,
AllowFullMenus..."  Since he, and I,
deploy our programs as *.mde files, I don't see what
the advantage would be
to be able to turn these back on at the user's site.
Who wants to use
Alt-F11 to bring up the VBA code window in an mde file
except some nosy
busybody?

I use another program
(http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/Otherdownload.asp?SampleName='SetDatabaseProperties.mdb')

to turn off these environment variables just before
deployment so I am
currently only using the DevFile.txt in the Error
Handler.  I may decide to
hook this up to the presence or absence of the
DevFile.txt but I haven't
yet.

Penn