[AccessD] OT: Roaming Profiles in Server 2000

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Mon May 9 10:14:51 CDT 2005

My documents stays localy in the user profile in Documents and settings
folder.
But When logging on and off it is copied/merged with the version on the
server.
When you first logon to a new computer your whole profile will be
downloaded to this computer, when logging of it will be copied/merged
again to the server.

With NT4 computers the profiles are deleted/copied, so when beeing
logged on simulteaniously on two computers the last logoff computer will
win (you could loose data in this case).
I believe that since Windows 2KPro and XPPro computers the profiles are
merged, so you don't loose data.

Using profiles does not change anything for the user.

A second thing you mention is the home dir of the users which is another
setting that has not really anything to do with profiles.
It is merely the default path where a user will get when first saving or
opening data. This is typicaly used to set a default data path per user
or same path for all users. It's just the default location for saving
data.

I don't use this home dir, because I find it rather confusing for the
user.

Erwin