[AccessD] OT: OEM software bundles

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Nov 15 04:51:44 CST 2005

Hi Kath

That is, of course, pirated software. Guarantee ...? What do you think?

We get spammed every day with offerings of that kind, like:
---
Please visit our OEM software supertore!

 Please check our reduced price.

 MS Project 2003 Professional - $60
 MS Visio 2003 Professional - $69.95
 MS Office 2000 Premium Edition (2 CD Edition) - $59.95
 Microsoft Office 2003 Professional (1 CD Edition) - $89.95
 Corel Draw Graphics Suite 11 - $50
 Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server - $40
 Windows 2k Pro - $59.95
 MS Office 2k Premium Edition (2 CD) - $59.95
 Windows XP Professional - $60
 Win 95 - $49.95
 FreeHand MX - $60
 MS FileMaker 7.0 Professional - $69.95
 MS Works 7 - $60
 Windows NT 4.0 Server - $49.95
 Fireworks MX 2004 - $60
---

Note the horrific price for MS Works. And Windows NT and 95 are certainly not available any more except in low volume at eBay and the like.
Also note that the site is completely anonymous - which is no wonder if do your homework and look up the IP address and the city of that:

  http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=221.11.133.99

IP:                221.11.133.99
Country:           China
City:              Hainan, Hainan
Country Code:      CN
Currency:          CNY [China Yuan Renminbi]

So no free lunch, and even when not free the taste is still ugly - if any, because chances are that if you buy a package you won't receive anything at all except the pleasure of having fed some Chinese criminals and payed a part of their Mercedes and learned a lesson.

As a dealer I can tell you that margins on MS software are very low and magic/bargain/sell prices just don't exist.
I always wonder why - and get a little disappointed too when - pros would even think of buying such stuff without first checking the advices and offerings at one of their trusted (local) suppliers.

/gustav

>>> KP at sdsonline.net 15-11-2005 00:56 >>>
Have any of you purchased or considered purchasing OEM versions of Office or Windows?

Is there any guarantee at all that it will be the full version? And how do MS handle the activation aspect of Office with these versions? Can they be re-installed? It seems to be very difficult to find a list of *all* of the limitations of the OEM's. Is it in the hands of the distributor to select what goes into the package?

Some of these bundles do look tempting: http://www.softdisks.net

Kath