[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Oct 1 04:37:02 CDT 2005

Hi Jim

So true. I get a little tired reading such academic mud-throwing
discussions.

It is interesting to read that Caché is regarded as an "in-memory
database". I had the opportunity at a meeting here to discuss with the
mentioned Paul D. Grabscheid and the CEO "Terry" (Phillip T. Ragon) how
they felt Caché compared to the hi-speed database engine kdb
(http://www.kx.com). They claimed it not to be fair to judge a
full-featured engine like Caché with specialized in-memory database
engines of which - in their view - kdb is one.
I still don't see a major difference between an in-memory database and
a database run by a traditional engine where you have read several or
all tables into a memory cache which is possible in many occasions with
today's multi-gigabyte ram.

Caché is not the answer to the World's database problems but it is a
truly amazing product well worth checking out if you feel the need to
handle objects all the way down to the database level and in the
database itself. Also, compared to most other server engines, it is very
easy to install and manage and runs nicely on modest hardware and OS
(they stopped support for Win95 but Win98 and WinNT are still usable). I
hope to get some time to experiment a little more with it.
As to the subject of the thread, I believe the latest version
integrates with dot net as well.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 01-10-2005 07:09 >>>
Wow, the old one two tag-team assault... I was hoping they would
provide
statistics and demonstrations of inadequacies, how it is a poor
performer,
how difficult the product is to manage or how it took three times as
long to
resolve a data request. I read none of that just a rant on the evils
of
Caché. I would expect better from a couple of fellows who are
considered the
head Gurus of the database world. (What is the old saying; Spiritual
people
enlighten but Religious people are just scary.)

Caché might not be a product worth considering but I guess I will have
judge on it merits.

Have you ever looked at a database product named ANTS. Here is one
article
on the product: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/27/ants_database/
and a
fully operational evaluation copy of the database can be acquired
from:
http://www.ants.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&Itemid=59&id=442

My understanding is that like Access it consumes all of the existing
memory,
the more the merrier. The difference Access just bleeds into all the
memory.
:-)