[AccessD] OT: Firewall

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Mon Oct 10 20:38:09 CDT 2005

Cool.  Best of luck in learning all that stuff.  If you discover a first
class firewall that is a load and forget, and as easy to use (or preferably
easier) than a dlink etc., do let me know.  PCTech at BellyButton is not the
first to insist this is The Way.  I have no intention of becoming a Linux
geek nor a firewall geek in order to get such a thing, but if it is indeed
load and forget, then it is definitely for me.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Karen Rosenstiel
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 6:03 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT: Firewall

John (and all),
I just bought a copy of the new distro of Mandriva (formerly Mandrake)at
Barnes & Noble and installed it on an old PIII box with 512m of ram.
Installed like a breeze. It read and set up my LAN, my printer and all the
hardware very easily. I had previously been trying to learn Linux with Red
Hat Ver. 9 and then Fedora, but it was a PITA. Mandriva didn't take any
longer than Windows XP either. You can set it up as a DHCP server with
firewall or DSN server or whatever.

The magazine that came with the distro -- from Linux Format -- had a
step-by-step install guide with tutorials and it included a Linux quick
reference wall chart. As you can tell, I was pretty impressed. Cost $20 but
might be worth your while to look at.

Regards,

Karen Rosenstiel
Seattle WA USA