[AccessD] OT: Firewall

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Mon Oct 10 22:07:22 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 17:36 -0400, John Colby wrote:
> pctech at mybellybutton.com
>
> I take it you want to be known as pctech at mybellybutton.com?  I have to
> assume that if you can figure out how to do software firewalls you can
> figure out how to do signatures?
>
> >Actually, using a "live" CD it WOULD be trivial to build a firewall based
> on a "boot CD".  But would you REALLY want to?  Think about it.  That "live"
> CD wouldn't have updates on it.  This means you'd have to have new "live" CD
> every time that you wanted to update the OS on the firewall.
>
> I don't want to have to update the OS on the firewall.  I don't want to know
> that the firewall exists.  I currently own a Dlink 624.  Once a year or so I
> go download any firmware updates, over the web.  Pretty much click, click, I
> am done.  Other than that I pay no attention to it.
>
> I do not consider myself closed minded.  I downloaded (about two years ago)
> one of the Linux distros.  I got it working.  I even downloaded and
> installed OfficeStar.  I know it is getting easier and easier.  None of
> which means I personally want to do that stuff.  I think you have an agenda
> (to have people build a firewall themselves).  I do not (at least in this
> area).  I don't care if you set up a spare PC as a firewall, or teach others
> how.  I don't care if Rocky goes out and buys a multi-hundred dollar "out of
> the box" solution, or builds your custom firewall, or uses some software
> firewall, or indeed, if he uses nothing at all.  I just don't care.
>
> However... I have been in computers since 1972.  I know enough to know that
> whether it is Windows, or Linux, or VMS, or CPM, if something goes wrong it
> takes digging to figure out what is happening.  The more you know about the
> OS, the less digging it takes.  I know that things DO go wrong, and the less
> you know, the more likely something WILL go wrong.
>
> I personally know nothing about Linux.  I don't want to know anything about
> Linux.  I am CAPABLE of learning enough to do what you propose, I just don't
> WANT to.  The very fact that you are discussing OS updates tells me I don't
> want to.  Additionally, I think the effort to do so is not in proportion to
> any risk I might be taking by not doing so.
>
> >However when someone that doesn't do this for a living tries to correct me
> on something that I do on a daily basis, I will correct them.
>
> I am not attempting to correct you, I am stating an opinion, which I believe
> I very clearly stated.  My opinion still is, that setting up and MAINTAINING
> a custom firewall is a non-trivial task.  Getting it running is no doubt the
> easiest part of the project.  Setting up a complex SQL Server database is
> non-trivial, but even if you get it set up, MAINTAINING it is beyond the
> capability of anyone not trained in SQL Server.  THAT is my point.  Things
> happen.  Handling those things requires training.
>
> If this firewall sits in the corner and never needs to be touched, then we
> [...]

You've OBVIOUSLY never dealt with web based e-mail clients.  I was
answering you via web mail from my ISP rather than answering from home.
Web based e-mail doesn't always support signatures.

Once again, you judge long before you have the facts in and attempt to
assert your superiority based on your "facts.
--
Frank Tanner III <pctech at mybellybutton.com>