[AccessD] Data Export Spec - Rev1

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sat Oct 22 13:18:53 CDT 2005

> I've found that most clients don't have a clue
> on what and how things are programmed.
Hi Gustav,

Yes, I know, and I'm constantly trying to educate them, it works sometimes,
sometimes fails.
I'm trying to involve them in software development process.
I'm trying to explain them that going ahead without planning and taking some
additional actions to be ready for future changes is a risky and expensive
"adventure" not serious modern business.
Why should I do that education for free?
I should be fair with my customers and explain why I do this or that and how
much this or that work costs and how much it could cost them if we skip some
work I think is important. And then they decide take the risk on themselves
or pay me more now and put the risks of future changes for relatively low
costs on my shoulders.

As far as I see mainstream modern development is based on the sentence "the
World of software is the World of constant change". My customers should know
that and understand that these changes can be very costly if do not take
preventive measures.

I'm a kind of tired on constant redoing because of "silly impatient
customers" or my own impatient silliness. Customers pay for that work but
this kind of work is so boring - and it's like building a "Tower of
Babylon"...

I'm trying to change with my customers that widespread situation in software
development for small- and middle- size businesses.

Yes, there are situations when customers need a "quick&dirty" work done
today to use it immediately - in such situations I just quickly program
requested solution and let them use it.

Shamil