[AccessD] Stopping import of tables and queries from mde

Thu Sep 22 14:00:35 CDT 2005

It's a very very simply way of scrambling text data - I wouldn't go as far
as to say it is encryption). See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROT13
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci214517,00.html

See also http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?code/algorithms/rot39.htm for an
Rot-39 algorithm, which has the advantage of also encoding non-alpha
characters. Again, none of this is strong encryption or even close. They
simply give a fast way to make the data LOOK weird.

To use this method all your forms would ROT39 encode the data as it is saved
to the tables, and the queries would use the exactly same routine to
translate them. Alternatively, if you want to use bound forms you would save
plaintext data to the tables and then use an update query to ROT39 encode
the new record. If, as has been suggested, you save all your queries as text
in code modules then there would be no queries visible to import, and so the
nosey user would not immediately see that they were all calling rot39 to
translate the data.

Lambert