[AccessD] OT: Houstonian Humor

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 12:47:54 CDT 2006

Jim,

> Hey Ken I thought you lived in Tomball, not Houston  ;-)

I worked in Tomball for many years, but have always lived within Houston.

>> <Ken> If you want to be known as an eccentric in Houston, walk
> <Jim>...Crazy is more like it- if the cars don't get you,
> heat prostration will...

That reminds me... One day in northwest Houston, I decided to walk to my favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch. My route took me down Jones Road, a ruler-straight, 6 lane street with an emergency lane and a large drainage ditch on each side. There was no sidewalk, so I had to use the emergency lane.

As I walked, I glanced at the ditch to my left. There was a fresh set of tire tracks, where a car had run off and gotten stuck. 50 feet later, another set of tracks. And another. In all, at least 7 sets on my 10-minute jaunt.

I got to my restaurant, ate, and returned on the other side of the road. I looked across the street, and wouldn't you know it -- during lunch, on the side I had originally walked on, Bubba done run his pickup truck off the road into the ditch. A tow truck was pulling him out.

I never walked that stretch of road again.

-Ken

PS. You guessed it -- I was the 'walking man' of northwest Houston! 8-)