[AccessD] Missing records

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Feb 3 13:01:47 CST 2006

Hi John

I doubt that. Cascade delete is not marked as default. If you - as a developer - just put marks around here and there without knowing what the consequences could be, you are in trouble.

The ultimate method to avoid all this worry is to use an append-only database backend. An interesting approach worth considering given the high availability and low cost of storage these days ...

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com 03-02-2006 19:20 >>>

I keep reminding people of this because too many developers just ROUTINELY
set a relationship and then set cascade delete true.  Then wonder why, when
a user, knowingly or unknowingly, deletes a record and doesn't even read the
"are you sure" prompt but just clicks yes, loses half his database.  Many
perfectly competent developers just create a relationship and set cascade
delete as a natural part of the relationship.  After all, you must make sure
you don't have orphans, right?