[AccessD] More Word/graphics OT

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 3 15:10:38 CST 2006

If you are mailing this out, you may find sites blocking .wmf files, due
to recent Windows Picture and Fax Viewer exploit flaw, until Microsoft
unveils a patch. I don't know what the AV firms are doing in response or
how it would affect embeded wmf's in a .doc file.
I just deregistered the dll until microsoft sorts it out.

Just thought I would cheer up your day. ;)

Yup, if you don't want to use the partial patch from Stuart's url.

Un-register the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (Shimgvw.dll) on Windows
XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2003 and
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx

This will stop browser infections. BUT

Just remember this won't protect you, if you store and save a downloaded
jpeg, then view it with MS window fax viewer,  these guys can disguise a
.wmf  file extension as a .jpeg file and the exploit will work as the
fax viewer will interpret it correctly as a virus loaded wmf file.