[AccessD] Buttons in spreadsheets

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Jan 6 11:38:38 CST 2006

Since you are using a template there is a slick way to create dynamic
ranges.  I assume your two columns are A and B and you will have a header in
want for the range (ex DATA1) and in the 'refers to' box type
"=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($a:$a),counta($1:$1))" (no quotes) and click <add>.
To test add data to the range, press F5 and type DATA1. The whole range
should be highlighted. Add or delete more data and hit F5. The new range
should be selected. This range name can be refered to in code. You do need
to have auto calc on in the spreasheet so that the formulas will compute.
HTH
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: John Colby [mailto:jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 10:38 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Buttons in spreadsheets

Is there any way to "drag and drop" a control such a check box onto cells of
a spreadsheet?  IOW, "bind" a checkbox to a cell?

If that can be done, can I do this programmatically?

I am trying to build a spreadsheet which will be attached to an email.  The
spreadsheet will have locked columns where I write info and a pair of
columns where the recipient "checks".  I would like to make the checks an
actual control so that I don't have to depend on them "getting it right".
The spreadsheet is then returned to me for processing.

While we are at it, how do I cause a square area of the spreadsheet to be a
named range?  I have never done this kind of stuff before and don't want to
spend time figuring it out if someone has done it before.

So I open a "template" spreadsheet, add data into two columns - anywhere
from a few to a hundred different rows, two columns.  Attach it to a
spreadsheet and mail it.  When I get it back, I open it, read data out of
two difference columns, looking for True/False (if controls in the cells) or
an X or something similar if no control.