[AccessD] Access97 on W2000 crashes

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 14:26:16 CST 2006

Well I've moved on but not solved the problem. Importing everything into a
new mdb didn't do it, so I decided to see if WXP had the same problem. The
answer was almost but not quite. It didn't give the error message, instead
it just dropped out of Access clean as a whistle - no meesage, no nothing.
So, I reckon, same problem just looks different under XP. Now I've come home
to my own XP machine and run the app and no sign of a problem. I now have to
think - why does an XP machine at work fail but not mine here? Would it be
reasonable to think it's a DLL issue? And could the following be a factor?
At work I long ago created a distributable version on the network so we
could use Runtime. So even though we later installed full Access everywhere
we still install from the network Setup and use /Runtime. At home I've never
done that. It's not the /Runtime itself cos I've tried without it, but does
the fact that the MDB is installed by a distributable runtime setup mean
that it's using different DLL's than a version just running under a normal
Access installation? I'm sure I've explained that badly, but the nub is: a)
does anyone know how I can establish a full list of DLLs involved in running
the MDB, and b) how can I easily compare versions of said DLLs on two
machines?

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk