[AccessD] Access97 on W2000 crashes

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:43:07 CST 2006

On 09/01/06, Andy Lacey <andy at minstersystems.co.uk> wrote:
> Well I've moved on but not solved the problem. Importing everything into a
> new mdb didn't do it, so I decided to see if WXP had the same problem. The
> answer was almost but not quite. It didn't give the error message, instead
> it just dropped out of Access clean as a whistle - no meesage, no nothing.
> So, I reckon, same problem just looks different under XP. Now I've come home
> to my own XP machine and run the app and no sign of a problem. I now have to
> think - why does an XP machine at work fail but not mine here? Would it be
> reasonable to think it's a DLL issue? And could the following be a factor?
> At work I long ago created a distributable version on the network so we
> could use Runtime. So even though we later installed full Access everywhere
> we still install from the network Setup and use /Runtime. At home I've never
> done that. It's not the /Runtime itself cos I've tried without it, but does
> the fact that the MDB is installed by a distributable runtime setup mean
> that it's using different DLL's than a version just running under a normal
> Access installation? I'm sure I've explained that badly, but the nub is: a)
> does anyone know how I can establish a full list of DLLs involved in running
> the MDB, and b) how can I easily compare versions of said DLLs on two
> machines?

Something about this is bringing up something from the fuzzy recesses
of the grey matter.

It sounds like it may be a Jet or MDAC issue.

You can get the MDAC Utility: Component Checker from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8f0a8df6-4a21-4b43-bf53-14332ef092c9&DisplayLang=en

This will let you see what MDAC version is installed.

I think my issue was my dev pc had Jet SP6 and the desktops it was
deployed to had Jet SP3. Something along those lines.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"