[AccessD] A2K - Unzip and append from CD

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jan 10 10:08:37 CST 2006

Hi Reuben

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I think - haven't done it myself - the Chilkat component can do that for you:

 - Create or open in-memory Zips.
 - Provides in-memory access to compressed or uncompressed data.

If the file is zipped or not, you can probably get that info as well from the Chilkat component, or you can open the file and check the two first characters to be "PK" and the third 03 (Bytes: 50 4B 03).

/gustav

>>> reuben at gfconsultants.com 10-01-2006 16:13:59 >>>
I meant I am planning to do it all in Access.  I mentioned Access because
you mentioned VB or VB Script...

What happens is...
1.  The state of Indiana sends a CD out with two or three zipped txt files
on it.
2.  The user needs to be able to browse to and select the appropriate file
to open.
3.  My app needs to unzip the file (I don't need the text file saved and
prefer not to save it) in order to read the text file
4.  The text file is comma delimited and the fields are always the same (so
the import specs should be easy)
5.  The records from the text file need to be appended to a table (the table
never changes)

Now, there is one issue with step one.  Sometimes the state forgets to zip
them and they come as just txt files.  I guess I'll just check the extension
after the user selects the file and act appropriately.

My real concern is how do I work with a zipped file?

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017