[AccessD] Development Cycle BE Question

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jan 17 00:29:24 CST 2006

On 16 Jan 2006 at 21:50, Joe Hecht wrote:

> How many of you while developing take clients data back end
> data so you are working with the most current data while
> doing pre lease builds?

I've been slicing and dicing current data all day while developing a new
app to replace a piece of cr*p that is currently in use.  The existing app
is one of the worst I've ever come across.  It's for monitoring palm oil
mill production. It's totally denormalised - the names and number of
presses, sterilisers, and estates supplying the mill etc are hard coded
throughout in tables, queries, forms and reports.

It also stores daily raw values and  percentages plus MTD and YTD values
and percentage for every item of interest.

As I create each new normalised set of tables, I  build  functions  to do
the slicing and dicing (build and execute  append SQL  statements against
the various fields in the existing tables).  I will move these functions
over to another app later.  This app will have links to the old and new
databases and the functions will be strung together so that it will do a
one click update of the new tables from the latest available old data.

--
Stuart