[AccessD] Source Code Control

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:31:47 CST 2006

On 1/18/06, Charlotte Foust <cfoust at infostatsystems.com> wrote:
> All I can say, is that I would NOT want to work with merging rather than
> single-user checkouts.  SourceSafe can be set up that way, but it keeps
> everything a lot cleaner when two people aren't even trying to modify
> the same object at the same time.  Since we don't have one huge file to
> deal with, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Well, you can set up Subversion to use single-locking checkouts that
way too, it just gets to be a pain when one person needs to make a
change to file X, along with 20 other files to get feature Y working,
while another person just wants to make a typo fix in file X but has
to wait 3 days to do so. Merging will generally take care of things
automatically, and when people tend to work on the same line, well, it
warns you and lets you fix.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein