[AccessD] Finally got to meet Shamil

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:06:18 CDT 2006

Hello Guys,

This may be OT but as Shamil is helping on this list since 1997, hopefully
you will excuse me for posting this here.

I am just back from my trip to Eastern Europe by motorcycle.  One of the
best parts of the three week trip was I got to meet our friend Shamil in St.
Petersburg.  I did not just get to meet him, he offered me accommadation
which I graciously accepted.  He then proceeded to be one of the best hosts
a visitor could have.

It had the oppertunity to live as a tourist in the day time, and then to
join Shamil's family life in the evening, this was the best part for me.  On
the Sunday night before I left Russia, I had the really great experience of
visiting Shamils Datcha (country house).  His beautiful family put on a
feast, literally a full sized table full of food.  We stayed up until late,
talking and drinking vodka.  He then, kindly offered to get up at 04:30 and
bring me to the train station.

Shamil, thank you for your hospitality and I hope to see you in Ireland some
time.

In the meantime guys, get over to St Petersburg.  It is a beautiful city, I
mean really beautiful.  The people I encountered were all kind, friendly,
although English is not too common.  I felt 100% safe at all times, in fact,
it felt almost safer than some places I have been in London or New York.

Another point I have to mention, the Russian people I saw in the entire city
of St Petersburg are so glamourous, it was more like being in Paris than
what we were told in school.  All I can say is get over there and experience
it for yourself, it will change you idea of what Mother Russia is like
forever.  Shamil, thank you for making it the highlight of my entire trip.

Mark Breen
Ireland