[AccessD] Quotation Database structure question

Richard Lavsa rlavsa at tigg.com
Mon Jul 24 07:44:04 CDT 2006

 Hello all,

 I have a question on how to build a piece of my application.

 The piece I am having trouble trying to put together is as follows.

 Our engineers call out and get prices on material (aluminum, steel,
Stainless), as well as components (Fans, Blowers, Pumps, Pipe, Angle
Iron,  etc.. ) So what they ask me to put together is a database that
they  can enter all this information into, and pull out information as
needed.  It sounded like an easy task at first.

 I started to lay it out and realized that even though these are all
"components" to whatever it is they are building, they may have
different characteristics to maintain in the database.. This is my
biggest hang-up... how do I make a Component table be able to take  into
account all the various characteristics for such different  pieces.

 For instance...
 FAN =3D (CFM, HP, RPM, Make, Type, Model, Cost, Vendor) Pumps =3D =
(Style, Make, Model, GPM, Head, Type, Size, HP, Phase, Motor, Cost,
 Vendor) Starters =3D (HP, NEMA Rating, Voltage, Cost, Vendor) Then you
have your Pipe and Pipe Fittings Pipe can be made from various
materials, lengths, and thicknesses Pipe fittings can as well not to
mention there are elbows, T's, Y's, etc etc...

 So in summary.. What I'm trying to build at this point is a way to
 record what the engineers received from various vendors and date it.
 Organize it in such a fashion they can pick and choose based on
 the system and put together a quick quote for a customer.  This will
 end up as a collaboration tool as well since some of the engineers may
 call the same vendor asking for the same if not similar items.

 I simply don't know what the best approach is in organizing all these
 Parts.  They start off as a part, but they all have such different
 characteristics to record, I don't know where to begin.

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 TIA,
 Rich