[AccessD] : Re: Demise of VBA

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Jul 14 10:34:59 CDT 2006

That's too bad you have had frustrating experiences with Excel. I came from
the Excel side to learn Access so I guess it wasn't as bad for me. I learned
Access to learn a more powerful way to handle data when I reached the point
where Excel flat files simply couldn't do the job. For me the most powerful
and useful aspect of Office has been the tight integration between Access
and Excel afforded by VBA. VBA allows me to utilize the best features of
each by transferring data from whichever application can process it best. As
you can imagine, being in the financial realm I spend most of my time in the
Access-Excel space and have created many apps that transfer data back and
forth as required.

There are two fundamental insights into Excel that have always helped me.
First, an Excel spreadsheet can be viewed as a flat file. This means if you
can boil Access data down into a record set with a key such as
GLacct_location_Date and paste the record set into a sheet you can reference
the "flat file" with lookups from other sheets in the workbook. Second, any
Excel location can be described by knowing the workbook, worksheet, column
and row. This insight allows tables to store these locations (the tables can
be static or created on the fly from codes in the Excel workbook) and then
"sprinkle" data throughout a workbook into the appropriate cells from record
sets. I guess Excel templates are the third piece of the puzzle since all
the formatting, formulas, etc. can be created and stored ahead of time and
all Access has to do is open the empty workbook and supply the data. Anyway,
I'm not sure how all of this can be (easily) recreated in the brave new
world of .net.
Jim Hale