[AccessD] : Re: Demise of VBA

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Jul 14 10:52:24 CDT 2006

<Despite what MS would like everyone to think, Access is  a *developer* tool

not an end user tool>

My strong impression is that Microsoft in the new Access version is going to
great lengths to make Access more Accessible (no pun intended) to end users.
In their heart of hearts I believe they think if they only can "build it
(more user friendly) they will come". Whether or not this just leads to a
proliferation of bad databases only time will tell. Unlike Excel, which
everyone can use out of the box, you really need to know something about
relational databases before you charge off and build one. The new version
will come with many example apps so maybe this will suffice, who knows?
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart McLachlan [mailto:stuart at lexacorp.com.pg]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:54 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] : Re: Demise of VBA

On 13 Jul 2006 at 16:38, Susan Harkins wrote:

> I found the switch from Excel Basic to VBA difficult. Now, Access Basic
and
> VBA were like peas in a pod, but Excel? I never have gotten the hang of
> using VBA in Excel and I've pretty much stopped trying.

ISTM that Visual Basic for Applications in Word and Excel are overkill.

There is a fundamental difference between Access and Word/Excel.

Word is a tool  for creating documents and  Excel is a tool for creating
spreadsheets.  A document or a spreadsheet are useful objects in their own
right and Word and Excel are *end user* tools for creating them.

A database has no value without an application to utilise it's contents.
Despite what MS would like everyone to think, Access is  a *developer* tool
not an end user tool.   Because it comes with its own database engine
(Jet), it can also be used as a database manager and that's as far as a lot
of users ever get with it but it is primarily an application development
tool.

--
Stuart