[AccessD] Calling Home

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jun 18 21:55:55 CDT 2006

On 18 Jun 2006 at 21:49, JWColby wrote:

> On a similar note (but not email) I have for a long time wanted to be
> able to have my programs automatically "call home" over the internet,
> similar to Norton AV which looks for AV updates automatically.  This
> would be handy for notifying the user that there was a newer version
> of the program (or framework), uploading or downloading data etc.  I
> know absolutely nothing about how to do that unfortunately, but if
> anyone out there does, I would love to see a discussion started.

A nice simple way is with the ADTG that was discussed the other day.

Try this function, it should grab a small recordset sittting on my website and display some
data.

Function PhoneHome() as Long
Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
rs.Open "http://www.lexacorp.com.pg/Demo/Test.ADTG"
MsgBox "There are " & rs.Fields.Count & " fields"
MsgBox "The content of the second field of the first record is '" & rs(1) & "'"
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
End Function

I created the ADTG file by creating a small table, using the function and then uploading the
file to my website.   The third satge could also be automated using some of the FTP
methods we have discussed on the list previously.

Function ExportTableADTG(Tablename As String, Filename As String) As Long
Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
If Dir$(Filename) > "" Then
   Kill Filename
End If
rs.Open Tablename, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenForwardOnly
rs.Save Filename, adPersistADTG
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
End Function