[AccessD] Would you buy

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jun 26 06:48:50 CDT 2006

William,

>...the whole point of your book is code reuse JC ...how can you demonstrate
that with only one application?

The framework is about building applications of course, but what it is
really about is two things:

Providing services to the application.  If I can provide FTP or Zip or MD5
encryption or Sysvars or Light Weight Security in one app, I do not need to
demonstrate that again in a second app.

Automating the handling of form and control events to provide "instant"
forms, which operate in a consistent manner across an application.  If I can
demonstrate (for example) NotInList event handling for a combo, or JIT
subforms in one form, I can demonstrate the exact same event handling (if
necessary) in a second form.  I do not need a second app to demonstrate
that.

There are several very fundamental problems with building the guts of 4 apps
in a book.

1) I would have to know and understand those apps, do the business analysis
to determine the entities and business rules etc.  I would then have to take
the time to build the applications, create all the tables, queries, forms
and reports and code to implement the business rules, not to mention
generate dummy data.
2) Assuming that "half the code is snap-in framework", that means that 1/2
the code ISN'T.  If it takes me the better part of 9 months to write the
book about the framework, and I have to develop the other 1/2 of the code
(and write about it) for 4 apps, all of which equal the amount of code in
the framework...  That's 36 months developing and writing code for apps
(which I don't even understand the business rules for and don't have a
client using so I can pick their brains...) plus the 9 months for the
framework.
3) I would have to have the room in the book to show the 4 apps.
4) I would have to write about my entire framework which, all by itself,
includes much more code than will fit in a single book about frameworks.

What I CAN do is work with 4 individuals who, having read the book, want to
apply the framework concepts to their application and make a demo of their
application available to the public via my (or a link to their) web site.

What I WILL do is take my billing program and use it as a demo for using the
framework.  It currently uses my second generation framework so I would have
to retrofit it (or perhaps a rebuild is in order?) to use the current
framework.

>...as for Sharepoint ...you're obviously not with the program

Uhhh... Nope

>its far more important to Access development than say, fixing four version
old bugs in Access itself :))))

Uhhhh yep.  To Microsoft.

;-)

John W. Colby