[AccessD] Frameworks

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 09:13:11 CDT 2006

John,

  <<I could swear I did that!  8(>>

  Your original post said "...for Access".  There are not many frameworks
around for Access (the ez products are the only ones that come to mind), but
there are for many other products.  I was just saying you might get more
input by talking about any framework rather then Access specific.

<<I think that contrary to popular belief, a book about framework is not
about providing a framework ready to go to solve everyone's problems, but
rather about HOW you build a framework to make your job easier.>>

  Think you have a winner of an idea there!  All developers like to be in
control and yet to a certain degree, need to get ideas.  Probably the
toughest part for most of us (one person shops) is getting ideas bounced
around.

<<Ohhh... Ideas.  I like it.>>

  I believe between all of us, we could come up with a fairly sizeable list
of what might/might not be workable.

<<As a combo's AfterUpdate fires, a collection of dependent objects is
checked
to see if any other combo's, lists or forms needs to be requeried because
their contents depend on that combo.  Some developers write code over and
over to "requery that combo over there when this combo changes".  I wrote a
dependent object collection that every data aware control class contains,
and whenever specific events in that control fire, the dependent object
collection is examined and if there are any class pointers in it, the
requery method of that class is called. >>

  This is exactly the type of thing I was thinking about when I was talking
about Access being able to use features of a framework now that it could not
have had in the past.  I think Access is at the point where a simple
framework might be doable, but because your limited in what you can hook
into, you'll still end up with a framework as being more of a collection of
tool/utilities rather then actual pre-written code to do it all for you.
Although I could be wrong.  It's amazing what some folks have accomplished
over the years.

<<So a book about building a framework is NOT about handing you a full
fledged
framework and explaining how it works, but rather explaining what reusable
code is, what functions and subs are, what modules are, what libraries are,
what classes are, how to place classes in libraries and yet expose them to
the application, what a framework is, how you build one, and why you would
do any or all of the above.>>

  Like I said, sounds like a great idea<g>.

Jim.