[AccessD] Access or not as platform

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 7 14:59:30 CST 2006

If you have Windows 2003 Server have you considered Windows SharePoint
Services that comes free with it.
This will handle your document archiving and searching. WSS stores info
in lists, Access can link to these as tables
or you can use ADO or ADO.Net.
You may not need the more advanced WSS Portal Server that roughly cost
$5000, whereas rough prices for 25 users on
Documentum is $30,000 and Hummingbird $15,000. There are products that
allow integration of all three.
Getting Email into your system really depends on your mail client, I
know there are quick ways to save Outlook email into Documentum.
WSS works easily with Exchange. Sending email to WSS is supposed to work
with any SMTP system - it doesn't have to be Exchange.
You just send email to a WSS folder.
Also since WSS sits on top of SQL Server you can create your own special
SQL SP search procedures.

WSS FAQ site
http://wss.collutions.com/default.aspx

If you do write a lite Access version to do all this, there might be a
few Records Manager's from the ARMA group that would be interested.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.