[AccessD] Replication and Referential Integrity

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Thu Sep 7 16:45:36 CDT 2006

I have mined Access replication extensively and like to pretend that I know it very well. So perhaps I can help in that regard. However, before we go there, I must say that I think something is very wrong if only one company can use the database at a time. Perhaps you are so fortunate that they reside in time zones that will never collide.

IMO, your first question should be, Why is it that only one company can use the DB at a time? (And secondly, does this mean that 20 users within one company can use it simultaneously? Or is it even worse?) I have been trying for the past few minutes (not long, admittedly), but I cannot see a situation which forces you into this "one-company" scenario. Further, I don't see how replication will get you out of this problem, which seems to me of your own creation.

Using replication strictly within Access, I have successfully tied together 4 branches distributed across North America, with a total of about 70 users, everyone hitting the same fixed-inventory tables. I can say with confidence that when this is set up correctly, nothing goes wrong. Not a single collision in over six months of operation. (After that we migrated to SQL Server.)

So back to your original question. What is lacking in the design that forces you to restrict access to just one company? Something is strange in Denmark, methinks. Without knowing anything about your DB, at the very least I might suggest creating a Companies table and inheriting its PK in all the immediate tables, so that Company 1's customers have an FK pointing to Company 1, etc. This would effectively isolate all rows from each company, and also permit adding Company 3.

Or perhaps I'm missing something.