[AccessD] OT Friday: Comodo AntiSpam

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 10 21:04:05 CDT 2007

I find it amusing that anyone takes the time to generate a 10 page "why CR
is bad", the basis of many of which is "it should punish the spammer", as if
ANYONE has a way to do that.  My personally opinion is that hunting down and
colbyizing a handful of them VERY publicly would be the only effective
deterrent but that won't be happening either.

Additionally, so far I have never had email delivered to me because someone
spoofed my email address as the sender of spam and a CR system was bouncing
it back to me.  Given that my name is on the spam lists (I get spam) THAT
argument isn't keeping me up at night.  I did not design the wonky system
that allows spammers to spoof senders and I can not do anything about others
doing so.

In the meantime, I have at most 100 people in my address books, all of which
have already been picked up (automatically) by the system.  The rest are
trickling in and I am manually dealing with them.  Within a single week all
of my regular emails will be handled.

I used a Bayesian filter with outlook and tried to do so again but it
wouldn't install.  When it worked, it worked fairly well (98% rate) but had
false positives and false negatives, few but still there.  Having 2% hiding
in the 100 is almost worse than 50%.  You have to look at each one to find
the 2 in 100 that you need to recover.  THAT is as much of a PITA as just
hitting the delete key 50 times a day.

There are a million systems out there for handling spam, none of them
perfect.  I have tried about 500,000 of them so far, I know none of them are
perfect.

Of course if any of you fine folks wants to volunteer to set up and maintain
an email server / AntiSpam system on my server machine, or install your
favorite variation of Linux and your favorite variation of anti spam, please
take my invitation to do so.  I do have a beater box (not even so beater)
and I will give you remote access to the box in order to do your thing.  Of
course YOU will be responsible for all maintenance for the rest of your
life.  I have real work to do unfortunately.

In the meantime, I will be trying this one for awhile.  I have had to
respond to a handful of such "response required" from a handful of people I
have emailed, and I did so, no biggie.  I can see that some think it is a
poor idea but such is life.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting