[AccessD] Interesting Laptop / Vista commentary

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Sun Dec 2 08:43:32 CST 2007

...I have a sweet dell laptop that I use for practically everything now
...it came with vista and 4gb and was an horrendous pig ...formatted the
disk and installed XP Pro and she is now the best system I've ever owned.

...I've tried a couple flavors of Linux and Open Office and my opinion
remains that they are geek toys ...allright if you like running servers but
death on the desktop ...the users drive you batty.

...the only major piece of the puzzle that is breaking through the MS
juggernaut is on the web where google and firefox are eating up the MS
competition ...firefox 2 is so much better than than ie7 that it pains me to
do web work anymore because practically everything has to be dumbed down to
ie6/7 ...how in the heck MS let Vista and ie7 out the door is a real puzzle
...both are bloated pieces of s**t imnsho.

...otoh, asp.net, framework 3.5, SQL Server Express and vs2008 Express
Editions are pure joy-joy to work with and you just can't beat the price
...I have the full vs'8 setting in a box and have not found a reason yet to
go through the pain of installing it ...with the add-in hacks to vs'8
express, I just may not ever open the box.

...I'm still doing a lot of Access maintenance work but all my new program
development is asp.net/ss unless a client demands otherwise ...and why in
the heck would they?

William